I know, I know. Dating in your city sucks. You don’t know what that ambiguous text message means. The last guy you were crushing on pulled The Slow Fade. And – ahhhhhh whyyyyy – you’re about to face the holiday interrogation squad of well-meaning but nosy grandmas, aunts and random neighbors of your third cousin who are just dying to know who you’re dating (no one! who dates anymore? how has Great Aunt Cathy not heard that we’re living in a post-dating world??), when you’re going to finally bring a guy to the family holiday celebration (um, how does 2014 sound?), and why you’re not married yet (for more responses to that convo, read this).
The post-dating world isn’t always a blast.
Except on the flip side, it sort of is – if you’re willing to look at it that way! Because for every weird, confusing, frustrating, how-did-my-love-life-turn-into-this-strange-morass-of-complicated-stuff moment, there’s something fun, exciting and hopeful to be thankful for. Especially today, on Thanksgiving, when we’re supposed to be taking a breather to count our blessings, appreciate our good fortunes, and see the best in our friends, family and – yes – our love lives.
There’s a lot to be grateful for in this post-dating world. Let us count the ways.
10 Reasons to Be Thankful for Your Post-Dating Love Life
1) It’s now acceptable (and totally justified) that a surprise ‘like’ on your Instagram photo from your Prospect You’re Not Sure Is a Prospect can put a huge smile on your face.
2) Today, when your crazy uncle gets drunk and starts ranting about Obama being a socialist at the Thanksgiving table, you can sneak out to the bathroom and text some of his more entertaining quotes to your Accessory (who will likely text back an amazing photo of his sister’s lopsided, gross-looking sweet potato casserole).
3) The winter season of city sports leagues is about to start – and what better way to stock up on Super Horny Guys for your dah? Aaaand maybe even meet a fun, athletic new Boyfriend Prospect in the process…?
4) If you hear from no one else on Christmas Day, you know that you’ll get your annual early-morning “Merry Christmas babe!” text from your Ex-Boyfriend Who’s Still Around. Like beautiful clockwork.
5) Your co-worker just informed you that her cute guy friend broke up with his girlfriend, and is coming to the ice skating outing she is planning for next week. Group-Non-Date, here you come.
6) You felt like hooking up with your Hot Sex Prospect last night. And so you did. And it was pretty great.
7) Instead of spending the next few Friday nights on awkward dinner dates, you get to go to holiday parties instead. Cue the sparkly dresses/ugly reindeer sweaters, spiked eggnog and opportunity to meet new dah guys.
8) Not only are you intrigued by the guy you’ve recently started Twitter flirting with, but the Tofurkey recipe he DM’ed you ended up being pretty delicious, too.
9) When you finally do bring a guy to your family holiday gathering, you know that everyone will love him – because instead of succumbing to the pressures to be coupled up, you’ve stayed strong and done your Millennial woman thing, remaining true to your high standards and refusing to have just anyone fill that +1 spot in your life. Just wait. That (eventual) guy is going to (eventually) blow them away.
10) You get to live in a post-dating world where there’s fun, excitement and the potential to love, learn and grow around every corner, on every non-date, with every email, text and tweet, and via your vibes with every guy in your dah. The world is kind of your romantic oyster right now. Lucky you, right?
Happy Thanksgiving from Dating & Hookup! Now go hang with your family, eat some pie, and take a second to ‘like’ your Boyfriend Prospect’s adorably thankful Facebook status.
Thanks to rOsita for the lovely pic! Hungry for gummy bears now.
Jess is the co-creator of Dating & Hookup, alongside her childhood best friend Becky Lynch, and is the author of the book - yep! - Dating & Hookup. She never tires of hearing your post-dating stories. She wants you to enjoy your love life, and is full of advice on how to do so.
datingandhookup.com is a website that explores modern romance in the Millennial era – which, let’s be honest, looks nothing like we were taught to expect. We feature essays, advice and social commentary with humor, compassion and brains, and we vow never, ever to publish a piece called “The 10 Best Ways to Satisfy Your Man in Bed”. Do click to submit your work to us. We love you.
Follow Dating & Hookup on Instagram
Follow Jess on Instagram
Follow Becky on Instagram
Follow me on Twitter